Beam Reach wiki
A wiki supporting research projects of the Beam Reach Marine Science and Sustainability School.
Links to Beam Reach science narratives, logs, and raw data. Not all raw data files are available on line (as of winter 2010); please contact us with requests to upload audio files of interest you find in the narratives or logs. You may find valuable context (e.g. photos, audio) in the associated science blogbook posts, though the text is the same as the narrative entries.
- 2009: science narrative | science log | raw data (upon request)
- 2008: science narrative | science log | raw data (upon request)
- 2007: fall 2007 data directory
- fall 2006, fall 2005...
- all sounds
- all images
- how to archive video? (Vimeo)
Projects and processing
Useful tools for processing:
On-going group research projects:
- localization tests
- Vocalization attributable to individual whales
- Echosounder surveys of salmon, other fish, and plankton
- Ling cod acoustic tagging
- Automated photo identification
- Puget Soundscape
- Salish Sea hydrophone network (Collaboration with the Whale Museum and others)
- Fish and invertebrate sounds of the Pacific Northwest
Space for individual research projects (e.g. externships)
- Your project here?
Published or public results
- Past student research papers and presentations
- Ambient noise in killer whale critical habitat (Val Veirs and Scott Veirs, 2006-2009)
- Source level of calls from Southern resident killer whales (Val Veirs and Scott Veirs, 2005)
- Commercial shipping noise in Haro Strait (Scott Veirs and Val Veirs, 2006)
- Fall 2007 mother+calf localization (Val Veirs et al, 2008)
- Information theory applied to southern resident killer whale calls (Kenna Lehmann et al., 2008)
- Killer whales increase their call amplitude in response to vessel noise (Holt et al, 2009)
- Hydroacoustic assessment of the prey field for killer whales in Haro Strait (Veirs et al, 2009, Poster at the Puget Sound Georgia Basin Ecosystem Conference]
- Acoustic characterization of killer whale habitat (Veirs, S., Veirs, V., and Wood, J., 2009; presented at the Transboundary Naturalist Workshop)
Put a link to the sustainability_log.xls file here
Intro to wiki editing
Consult the User's Guide for information on using the wiki software.